Sweat Less Live More
There is usually no underlying condition or disease that causes excessive sweating of the underarms and palms. This is referred to as primary axillary or palmar hyperhidrosis. It can be very distressing for many people, who wear certain clothes to hide stains or dread certain social situations.
Venus Medical was the first clinic in Ireland to introduce the revolutionary FDA-cleared MiraDry procedure that eliminates bothersome underarm sweating permanently.
Many people who simply don’t want to sweat so much are now choosing MiraDry Fresh, since the procedure is safe and results lasting. For palms, Dr Prendergast uses injections to reduce the sweating from the sweat glands.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate for MiraDry has primary axillary hyperhidrosis: sweating that is bilateral and symmetrical and extremely bothersome. Many have tried topical remedies such as aluminium chloride anti-perspirants which can be irritating and ineffective. For sweating of the hands, a good candidate has profuse sweating of the hands with no underlying cause.
We’re here to help you achieve natural-looking results whatever your concerns.
Treatment step by step
- Small injections are placed under the skin of the armpit for numbing.
- The armpit area is marked.
- Gel is applied and the MiraDry handpiece is applied.
- The tissue is heated painlessly using energy targeted at the sweat glands.
- Ointment and an ice pack are applied.
- For palmar hyperhidrosis, a wrist block (local anaesthesia) is used to numb the skin on the hands first.
- Injections of purified toxin are made in the skin to block the secretion of sweat from the palms.
- Unlike MiraDry, this treatment lasts about 8-12 months.
- After MiraDry or injections for palmar hyperhidrosis, you should not drive home.
- You will be given ice packs to apply under your arms for the first 24 hours.
- Swelling is normal during this time.
- Some people feel numbness and firmness in the skin under the arms for a couple of weeks, but this resolves.