Male Breast Reduction
Life-changing results in an hour under local anaesthesia
Gynaecomastia affects up to one in three men and is characterised by a breast contour that looks somewhat female. This destroys confidence in many men.
It is caused by an imbalance in hormones, usually during puberty, and cannot be treated satisfactorily except by removing the excess tissue.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate has bothersome chest contours and is motivated to have a definitive procedure without general anaesthesia. Most men with gynaecomastia can be treated, except if the tissue and skin are severely sagging, when invasive surgery to remove the fold might be more suitable. Some cases are predominantly gland, some fat, and some a mixture of both. You will be assessed beforehand and the best approach explained to get optimum results.
We’re here to help you achieve natural-looking results whatever your concerns.
Treatment step by step
- On the day of the procedure, you are lightly sedated with tablets and careful markings are made by Dr Prendergast.
- Diluted anaesthetic fluid is sprinkled into the fat first through 4mm incisions.
- Then Vaser ultrasound probes are used to gently break up the fat and glandular tissue painlessly, ready for removal.
- The tissue is removed from the body using gentle suction.
- If there is still a small amount of very hard tissue behind the nipple affecting the chest contour, Dr Prendergast makes a little incision at the areola around the nipple and removes the gland.
- Tiny stitches are used to close this and these are removed after one week.
- You will be required to wear a specially fitting compression garment for 4 weeks.
- A Velcro binder is applied for the first 24 hours.
- There is usually significant draining and leaking of anaesthetic fluid for 12-24 hours after the procedure.
- If an incision was made at the areola, you might have small drains that will stay in place and be removed after three days.
- We advise manual lymphatic drainage, about twice a week, for the first few weeks to accelerate healing.
- Treatments such as radiofrequency and extracorporeal shockwave therapy are available at Venus Medical for all our male chest reduction patients to enhance and speed up recovery so you can see the amazing results as soon as possible.
"I’m actually amazed by the results. It’s changed my life"