Fat transfer, look younger, using what nature gave you
Facial fat grafting is a transformational procedure that addresses many of the signs of aging. Over time, various fat compartments in the face atrophy or shrink. This results in shadows, hollows, and a gaunt appearance. At Venus Medical, Dr Prendergast replaces lost volume during fat grafting procedure in the temples, cheeks and midface, lower face, jawline and chin. The hollows under the eyes are also treated.
During fat grafting, fat is harvested from the thigh or tummy and transferred to small syringes for injecting carefully in various parts of the face. Dr Prendergast performs the fat grafting procedure under local anaesthesia.
Fat also contains millions of stem cells, so we often see the skin on the surface improving in radiance following fat grafting.
The ideal candidate
Fat grafting is a wonderful treatment for people who will benefit from a restoration of facial volume, or those who have lost weight or have facial asymmetry. It is an alternative to fillers for those who want a longer-lasting solution.
We’re here to help you achieve natural-looking results whatever your concerns.
Treatment step by step
- An assessment includes 3D facial imaging and simulation.
- The areas for fat grafting on the face are carefully marked.
- The donor site is marked and some fat is taken from the thigh, inner knee, or lower tummy under local anaesthesia.
- Only one or two 3mm incisions are required to do this.
- Nerve block injections in the face make the area completely numb, so the procedure is not painful.
- You will also receive a relaxing tablet before the treatment.
- Using small cannulas, the fat is placed in the face using a special technique to protect the fat so it survives once it has been transferred.
- You cannot drive immediately following the procedure.
- Most patients return to work after one week, although some recover after just 3-4 days.
- We provide an IV drip during the fat grafting procedure that reduces inflammation and swelling.
- Some swelling and bruising is normal after fat grafting particularly if the whole face is treated. This subsides in a few days.