Buccal Fat Removal
Removing excess fat pads from the cheeks to create a more contoured facial appearance
Heaviness or fullness in the lower face, particularly in younger people, can be due to prominent buccal fat pads.
By removing part of the buccal fat pads, the contour of the shape changes, to appear more sculpted or defined. Prominence in the lower cheeks is often hereditary, so weight loss might not necessarily improve the appearance of the buccal fat pads.
The ideal candidate
A cheek reduction surgery is highly customized to the individual patient. This safe procedure can be suitable for any healthy adult with chubby cheeks. A consultation with Dr Prendergast will determine if you are an eligible candidate. However, in general, you should: Be physically healthy, be close to your ideal weight, not smoke tobacco products and have realistic expectations about what the procedure can do.
We’re here to help you achieve natural-looking results whatever your concerns.
Treatment step by step
- Local anaesthetic is injected to numb the area inside the mouth.
- A tiny incision is made inside the mouth near the molar teeth on the top.
- The buccal fat is gently retrieved and partly removed.
- A simple, dissolvable stitch is placed.
- There may be some slight swelling for 2-3 days, but results are often visible quickly.
- You must eat soft foods only for the first 48 hours, and gargle with mouthwash after eating for one week. Results improve for up to 4 weeks.